Rapid Reaction: CMU 45, KU 27

Senior Quarterback Shane Morris throws the ball during the football game against the University of Rhode Island on Aug. 31 in Kelly / Shorts Stadium.

In the first road game of the season, the Central Michigan football team traveled to Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kansas to take on the Jayhawks.

After a slow start to the game on both sides, CMU took off running and never looked back, beating Kansas by a score of 45-27.

Key Points

• Quarterback Shane Morris went 28-for-37 for 467 yards and five touchdowns.
  • The CMU defense struggled to contain Kansas. The defensive secondary added a pair of interceptions to give them eight in 2017. Both CMU interceptions resulted in touchdown drives.
  • Seven different players caught a pass from Morris today.
  • CMU got their first win of the year on the road. 

Game Summary

At the 13 minute mark in the second quarter, CMU tied the game on transfer senior Michael Armstrong’s 27-yard field goal, making the score 3-3.

Graduate transfer quarterback Shane Morris threw for his second touchdown of his CMU career. Sophomore wideout Brandon Childress made a catch along the sideline to set CMU up at the Kansas 27-yard line, Morris found senior wide receiver Mark Chapman for the 14-yard score. 

The Chippewas led 10-3 when they made the first mistake of the afternoon. CMU muffed a punt and senior defensive back Amari Coleman couldn't recover the ball. The Jayhawks couldn't take full advantage however, getting a field goal to make the score 10-6.

Approaching halftime, Morris led his team down the field with ease for the second time in the game. After finding sophomore running back Jonathan Ward for a 27-yard reception, a 15-yard roughing the passer set the Chippewas up for another huge play.

The transfer tight end Logan Hessbrook went up the sideline and made a quick cut to get passed the defender, leaving him wide open for Morris to throw a 47-yard touchdown. The Chippewas were suddenly in control, leading the Jayhawks 17-6.

As the half was nearing CMU got its second interception of the game from junior defensive back Tyjuan Swain at their own 10-yard line with just 1:11 left in the half. 

Morris and the Chippewas went 90 yards in eight plays, capped off with a senior wide receiver Corey Willis touchdown to extend their lead to 24-6, leaving just six seconds on the clock.

The Jayhawks went 75 yards in just four plays after halftime, with a 33-yard touchdown run from Kansas running back Ryan Schadler to highlight the drive. CMU was still in front 24-13 early in the third quarter.

Kansas didn't stop there. After a quick 3-and-out for the CMU offense, the Jayhawks drove down the field with ease once again, scoring from 1-yard out on a Dom Williams carry. The momentum and score was suddenly shifting, with CMU’s lead trimmed to 24-20.

Bonamego rolled the dice on fourth and four by going for it. Morris threw a touchdown pass to Chapman from seven yards out to give CMU a 38-20 lead early in the fourth quarter.

Just when it seemed CMU had the game where they wanted it, Williams scored his second touchdown of the evening from two yards out, capping a 13-play, 62-yard drive. 

Morris found Chapman on a wheel route that he went 75 yards for the quick response touchdown, his third of the day, to bury the Jayhawks with a 45-27 lead nearing the midway part of the fourth quarter.

What's Next

The Chippewas (2-0) will stay on the road as they take on Syracuse at 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 16.