City Commission discusses new language to city code at regular meeting

dsc-0083

The Mount Pleasant City Commission has its regular meeting Monday, Oct. 24 at City Hall.

The Mount Pleasant City Commission tidied up the city code at its regular meeting on Oct. 23. 

Three ordinance amendments were added to the city code. The amendments are already a part of the city's zoning code, but city officials moved the policies in preparation of adopting a new zoning ordinance. 

The three ordinance amendments regulate swimming pools, regulate the city's historic district and specify the power of the Planning Commission. 

“The purpose of this is not to change the idea, (but) simply to change the location in order to do some housekeeping before adopting the new zoning ordinance,” said Mayor Kathy Ling. 

A public hearing was scheduled for Nov. 22 to discuss amending the city ordinance that prohibits the purchasing, consumption and possession of alcohol by minors. 

City Manager Nancy Ridley said the change is necessary to comply with a new state law that reclassifies a first minor in possession of alcohol offense to a civil infraction, as opposed to a more serious misdemeanor. 

Commissioners also approved a $4,872 contract with Mount Pleasant Fence, Sash and Door, Inc., a fence contractor located on 1315 N. Mission St. 

The money is left over from a bid accepted last year to fence along West Wood Street. Only two-thirds of the fence had been completed due to the safety hazards and limited access to utilities furnished by the location. 

Ridley said with money still in hand, a new fence will be installed safely with proper equipment with the new contractor. 

After the regular meeting, commissioners met at a work session to discuss the 2018 Operating Budget.

About Samantha Shriber

Samantha Shriber is a staff reporter at Central Michigan Life and is a Saint Clair Shores ...

View Posts by Samantha Shriber →