Men’s basketball falls to Oakland in hurricane-relief exhibition game

bball-1

The maroon team huddles during a timeout at the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage on Oct. 19 at McGuirk Arena.

On Sunday, the Central Michigan men’s basketball team fell 108-88 to Oakland in an exhibition game. 

The game, played at the O’Rena in Rochester, was created to raise money for the American Red Cross and hurricane-relief.  

Leading the way for the Golden Grizzlies was Illinois transfer guard Kendrick Nunn, who logged 40 points, 10 rebounds and 8 assists. He made 13-of-16 shots from the field, knocking down eight 3-pointers. 

Following Nunn, redshirt senior guard Martez Walker and redshirt senior forward Jalen Hayes scored 24 points and 19 points, respectively. 

Central Michigan senior forward Cecil Williams scored 14 points, adding five rebounds and three assists. 

Luke Meyer, a senior for the Chippewas, logged 15 points and five rebounds. Sophomore forward David DiLeo finished with 15 points, five rebounds, and two assists. 

CMU head coach Keno Davis said sophomore guard Kevin McKay has made the biggest improvement since last season. 

McKay proved himself, earning 16 points, four rebounds, and four assists. 

Junior transfer guard Shawn Roundtree struggled in his Chippewa debut. He scored six points on 2-for-10 shooting and dished out five assists. 

CMU tips off its final exhibition match against Northwood at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 5 at McGuirk Arena. 

The Chippewas open the regular season against Sienna Heights at 4 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10. The game will also take place at McGuirk Arena.