No. 2 DIII hockey grabs 12th straight win over No. 5 Adrian College

The No. 2 Central Michigan men’s Division III hockey team secured a 10-4 victory over Adrian College on Jan. 11. 

The Chippewas have now won 12 straight games. 

The win lifts CMU to 22-4 (11-4 in Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference). CMU is first in Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference East Division in total points.

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs drop to 10-5 on the season (8-5 in MCHC).

“It was a tough test playing Adrian in our first game of the second semester,” said sophomore defensemen Brenna Martin. “We were looking forward to (this game) because both them and us are ranked top five in our region (North).” 

Sophomore defensemen Brennan Martin scored in the first five minutes, giving CMU an early lead. With 5:15 left in the first, forward Joey Simoncelli would score for the Chippewas, increasing the lead to 2-0. The Chippewas ended the first period up 2-1. 

“It thought we picked up too many penalties in the first,” said freshman forward Philip Fazio. “We started out kind of slow, and not too disciplined too and we’ll hear from coach about that.”

The Chippewas kept up the momentum and built a 7-1 lead by the start of the third period. 

Adrian's offense picked up in the third period.

“We gave them the puck right in our zone after terrible turnovers by us,” Cadzow said. “They had the puck 20 feet from the net and they capitalized because they’re a good team.”

CMU put Adrian away when Martin scored with 13:53 left. Forward Jake St. Andre scored at the 8:46 mark, and forward Dalton Sutherland closed it out with a late goal with 16.6 seconds left.

“When we lapse in our play, get lazy and get complacent, that’s when we suffer,” said head coach James Cadzow. “It should have been 14-1, not 10-4.”