Women's basketball improving by the game, remains undefeated in MAC

womens-basketball-vs-vandy114
Senior guard Cassie Breen takes a three against Vanderbilt University on Nov. 14 at McGuirk Arena.

After going 2-0 this past week at McGuirk Arena, Central Michigan women's basketball is the only remaining undefeated team in the Mid-American Conference. 

The Chippewas (13-3, 5-0 MAC) routed Bowling Green on Wednesday before holding off a late Kent State surge for a victory on Saturday.

Recap

Led by junior Reyna Frost's 25 points, nine rebounds and four steals, CMU dominated Bowling Green 90-54. Central Michigan's bench also played a pivotal role in the victory combining for 19 points and 17 rebounds.

"I really believe our bench needs to keep improving if we're going to be able to make a run deep into March," said head coach Sue Guevara. "To have them get in today and contribute and to get the confidence, it was good for them." 

Saturday seemed like it was going to be another dominating victory, but a late run by Kent State kept the Chippewa fans on their toes as CMU was able to escape with an 88-84 victory. Senior Cassie Breen logged 26 points going 7-12 from downtown.

"What does Cassie Breen do? She goes off," Guevara said. "If (the shot's) open, she goes off."

Improvements 

After averaging 15.5 turnovers in the first 14 games of the season, Guevara knew her team would have to take better care of the ball to make a deep tournament run. 

“Our unforced turnovers are driving me right out of my mind,” Guevara said. “We’re in such a hurry. There are little things that we have to clean up. We have to get that all cleaned up by the time the end of Feb. comes.”

Central Michigan improved on their turnovers over the past two games. This week the Chippewas averaged 10.5 per game after a conscious effort to improve on taking care of the ball through out the week. 

Guevara also saw an opportunity to improve on offensive rebounding after reviewing game tape from Bowling Green. The veteran coach cut up seven video clips for the guards to show them missed opportunities for second chance points. 

"Breen goes back, so everyone else needs to go and rebound," Guevara said. "I brought that to their attention so they could see it and make the change, and I though they did." 

CMU improved their offensive rebound total from 11 against Bowling Green, to 17 against Kent State. Guards Micaela Kelly, Presley Hudson and Maddy Watters combined for seven offensive rebounds against KSU, after previously combining for just two versus BGSU. 

What's Next

Central Michigan will be looking for seven straight victories hitting the road for a pair of MAC games. Guevara expressed her team's need to improve on closing out games after almost blowing a 17 point lead with just over six minutes remaining versus Kent State.

"We go on the road and play like that, we're going to lose," Guevara said.

The Chippewas travel to DeKalb, Ill. on Jan. 17 to face Northern Illinois (10-6, 2-3 MAC), and heading to Ohio to face Akron (6-10, 0-5 MAC) on Jan. 20.