Effort helps Frost and Moore excel as rebounders

Senior Forward Tinara Moore looks to pass the ball against Western on Jan. 27 in McGuirk Arena.

Reyna Frost and Tinara Moore lead one of the best rebounding teams in the Mid-American Conference. 

Central Michigan women's basketball leads the MAC in rebounding margin at +7.2 and rank No. 4 in offensive rebounds per game (13.5) and defensive rebounds per game (28.1). 

CMU's top rebounders are forwards Reyna Frost and Tinara Moore. Frost leads the MAC and is ninth in the NCAA averaging 12 rebounds per game. Moore is third in the MAC averaging 9.4 rebounds per game. 

CMU head coach Sue Guevara said both players understand the importance of rebounding. She tells them to go get the ball like it's a $100 bill. 

“Rebounding is a lot of heart and going to work,” Guevara said. “It’s about persistence. It’s about determination. 

Frost, a 5-foot-10 junior from Reese, has been near the top of the country in rebounds all season. Her success has led to nicknames such as “Rey-bound” or “Rebound Reyna."

She credits her determination for her success on the boards. 

“Having the mindset to go after the ball is important,” Frost said. “Being able to understand where the ball is going to go helps too.” 

In addition to leading the MAC in overall rebounds per game, Frost leads the conference in offensive rebounds per game (5) and defensive rebounds per game (7.1).

Frost attributed her ability to play efficiently alongside Moore to their individual efforts. 

“Both of us are hard workers and we both crash the boards hard,” Frost said. “We try to help our teammates because we know how important it is to get more rebounds.” 

Moore, a 6-foot-3 senior from Southgate, is seventh in the MAC in offensive rebounds per game (2.7) and fourth in defensive rebounds per game (6.8). 

She agreed that effort allowed her and Frost to have success as rebounders. 

“We’re really aggressive, we go after both offensive and defensive boards,” Moore said. “We have a big focus on those rebounds.”E