Greeks pack McGuirk Arena during Greek Week Games

brockman-greek-week-1
Shelby Township junior Olivia Conley, a member of Alpha Gamma Delta, participates in a sack race for the Greek Week Athletic/Academic Games in McGuirk Arena on April 3. Conley was doing a relay race with members of her sorority and their Greek Week partners Phi Sigma Phi.

The annual Greek Week Athletic Games were held on April 3 as part of a week-long fundraising event for Women's Aid Service and Special Days Camps.

Fraternities and sororities were able to compete in teams to collect points in events such as relay races, trivia games and knock-out.

Central Michigan University senior and Greek Week Panhellenic Communications Coordinator Brooke Thomas said that some of her favorite college memories come from Greek Week events. 

"It's really competitive," Thomas said. "There can be a little rivalry between fraternities and sororities, so I think that's where the competition really comes from."

This year, Greek Week games incorporated intelligence as well as athleticism in the form of trivia and riddles. Thomas said Assistant Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Jordan Borchert gave Greek Week leaders the idea.

Participant and member of Beta Theta Pi Adam Smith said he was excited to compete for the first time in three years and represent his letters.

"This is a community -- it's not a competition," Smith said. "This is just a fun way to raise money for a good cause. I like to win, but it's in good fun."

The events started with a relay race where members of each team had to wear a sack while racing across the court. Teams could be seen hopping, skipping and even rolling to the finish line in order to beat their opponent's time.

After crossing with the sack, participants had to run back with a tennis ball under their chin. When they returned, a group of 3 was responsible for flinging a rubber chicken to another team member holding a plastic bin.

Two teams were eliminated after that round, which led qualifying teams into a game of four corners. This game, however, focused in on this year's theme - Billboard Top 100 hits. 

After announcing a song title, team members had to rush to the correct year that it went viral. Failure to do so led to being cut from the lightning, or knock-out, round.

During this round, teams competed with athletic abilities by trying to score faster than the player behind them. Smith said that although he did not participate in knock-out, it was his favorite event in the Greek games.

After the last round of knock-out, the two teams left were Phi Sigma Phi with partner Alpha Gamma Delta and Beta Theta Pi with partner Delta Zeta.

The two teams were faced with the final challenge of solving riddles. The winner had to guess three correct answers without the help of their brothers or sisters.

After an intense intellectual battle between the teams, the winners of the Greek Week games were Beta Theta Pi and Delta Zeta.

Member of Beta Theta Pi and CMU Sophomore CJ Barnes said he felt tired but excited after winning the final round of knock-out.

"To get the dub for my fraternity and our sorority was nice (and) felt good," Barnes said. "I can't party yet, but I'll get ready to party."

Greek Week also consists of a Mock Rock event which will be held at 6 p.m. on April 5 in McGuirk Arena. After teams compete, the winners of Greek Week will be announced as well as the total money donated to both philanthropies.