Isabella County Community Cancer Services provides a light in the darkness with annual cancer awareness walk

dsc00692

Mount Pleasant resident Elizabeth Herron shows off her shirt for the 20th annual Into the Light Cancer Walk Sept. 21 at the Isabella County Fairgrounds.

Hope can be hard to find when dealing with disease and sickness, but there is a group in Isabella County that is helping people find it. The Isabella County Community Cancer Service (CCS) held the 20th annual Into the Light Cancer Awareness Walk on Sept. 21 at the Isabella County Fairgrounds. The event is organized to raise money and awareness for families and individuals that have been affected by cancer. 

All of the money raised at the event stays local to help cover the cost of expenses for cancer patients. These costs can include gas to and from Ann Arbor, Mich. and lodging for families while a loved one is in the hospital. Over the past 20 years, this event has raised over one million dollars to help aid cancer patients and their families

Over 300 people attend the event annually to show support, not only for the families who have lost someone to cancer, but for survivors as well. 

CCS chose the daffodil, a symbol of hope, to represent its purpose. All survivors who attended the walk received a daffodil pin to celebrate their perseverance. 

Along with families, other groups in the community come out to show their support. Central Michigan University sports teams, fraternities, sororities, and other clubs have attended in the past.  Local businesses also show their support through donations or volunteering. 

“There’s always someone to help -- always.” said Suzanne Courser, CCS president.

Courser is a 17-year cancer survivor and Mount Pleasant resident. She has been co-chairwoman of the event with Zora Walsh, head of publicity, for the past six years. 

This year, the two women have decided to pass this leadership responsibility to a new generation of volunteers.

“We’re getting older and if we don’t get the younger people to take it over, we’re going to lose (the event).” Courser said.

Volunteer Deonna Kremsreiter has started to take responsibility for the event. 

“It’s been a pretty smooth transition because (I'm) still getting guidance,” Kremsreiter said.

Kremsreiter plans to expand further into the community and gain the event more recognition.

“My hope is that we reach new people that need help. That’s my ultimate goal.” Kremsreiter said. 

The walk focuses on providing hope for families, survivors and individuals still fighting.