Field hockey drops eighth straight game

gaiaherrick-bws-5
Redshirted sophomore Samantha Glapinski cuts down a pass from MSU on Sept. 18 at the Field Hockey Complex.

Another strong defensive showing for Central Michigan field hockey was not enough as they fell 2-1 to the Michigan State Spartans.

The Chippewas (1-9, 0-1 MAC) fell to the Spartans (4-5, 0-1 Big Ten) at the CMU Field Hockey Complex and have dropped their last eight contests. 

CMU and Michigan State battled defensively throughout the majority of the game. The second half featured more offense as the Chippewas and Spartans matched with six corners.  

“The effort was there,” head coach Catherine Ostoich said post game. “There were pushes and we saw moments of greatness, there were some good things the team did today. We drew a lot of corners today, we just need to get that last piece of execution.” 

Spartan senior forward fired home a sweeping shot after a corner to break the ice early in the second half. Senior midfielder Kady Gurtis brought the Chippewas even at one off a corner of their own just over two minutes later. 

The teams battled and tension between the Chippewas and Spartans seemed to escalate as the second half dwindled and the teams were tied. 

“There were moments of really great play, then moments of breakdown,” Ostoich said. “Obviously you need the moments of great play to outlast the breakdown, but the couple of times we broke down we really broke down hard.”

Freshman back Daphne Voorman fired home a shot past Chippewa senior goalkeeper Lily Amadio off a corner and the shot looked to have careened off a Spartan too high, but the goal was allowed to give the Spartans the lead for good. 

The Chippewas tried to push the ball down the field in the last 13 minutes but to no avail as they could not find the back of the net and the Spartans left with the victory. 

The Chippewas take the field against the at 6 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 21 at Pruitt Field in Athens, Ohio against the UC Davis Aggies.