'Bras for a Cause' raises $5,000 in second year

Mount Pleasant resident Tim Ruggirello models for "Bras for a Cause" Oct. 24 at Hunter's Ale House.

"Bras For A Cause" encourages local businesses and organizations to make their own bras to be showcased and modeled by local men. The bras are then auctioned off and proceeds benefit cancer research and services in the area.

The event is on its second year. This time, the production team partnered with Mclaren Health Care of Central Michigan, an organization that joined six other local businesses in sponsoring the event. 

"Bras for a Cause" raised roughly $7,000 during its first year. This year, organizers raised $5,000. All proceeds benefit Community Cancer Services of Isabella County and Karmanos Cancer Institute.  

Cops and Doughnuts and GCC Organics were a couple local businesses that participated in bra creation and presentation. Alma High School and the Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe were also represented.

Bras created by local businesses wait to be collected after "Bras for a Cause" Oct. 24 at Hunter's Ale House.

Though the event focuses on the creation of bras and occurs during Breast Cancer awareness month, "Bras for a Cause" aims to raise awareness and funds for the research of all cancers.

The event was organized by local radio station 95.3 CFX. Hosts were Angie Evans, afternoon on-air host and promotions director for the station and Paulette Bonamego, wife of Central Michigan University football head coach John Bonamego.

“Everyone has a connection to cancer. This is something that touches everyone," Evans said. "The (beneficiaries) help locally here in our community and we want to help them." 

Paulette's connection came in 2015 when her husband was diagnosed with tonsil cancer. He was declared cancer-free November of the same year, but the effect was still potent. She said she is inspired to help organize the event because of her husband's experience with cancer and hopes to help families going through similar trials.

Mount Pleasant resident and three-year cancer survivor Bethany Beebe has attended both years of "Bras for a Cause." She said she believes it’s her calling to support cancer awareness events because she is a breast cancer survivor. 

"(The event will) leave your cheeks hurting from laughing so hard,” Beebe said.