William Joseph elected Mount Pleasant mayor

city-commission06
Newly elected mayor Will Joseph proclaims Jan. 27 will be named Peacemaking Day on Jan. 7 in City Hall

Central Michigan University alumnus William Joseph began his duties as mayor when City Clerk Jeremy Howard handed him the mayor’s gavel Jan. 7 at the first Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting of 2019.  

Joseph was nominated for election by Commissioner Kristin LaLonde and secured the position over Commissioner Tony Kulick following a 4-3 vote. 

“This year (Mount Pleasant) has a lot of obstacles in its way,” the newly-elected mayor said. “It is going to be a challenge, but I am up for it.” 

Joseph, who graduated from CMU in May with a degree in mathematics and political science. He thanked his fellow commissioners for believing in his ability to succeed as elected mayor. 

Commissioner Lori Gillis was nominated by Kathleen Ling, and unanimously approved, to serve as vice mayor. Both terms end Dec. 31. 

During public comment, University of Michigan student and Mount Pleasant native Tiana Gillis voiced her opinion about the current method used to elect mayor and vice mayor. 

“As a Mount Pleasant citizen, I really wish (Mount Pleasant citizens) had the opportunity to elect the mayor and vice mayor for the city, rather than the city commissioners sitting on the board electing them for themselves,” she said. “I think we would have different results than we had tonight.” 

Lori Gillis, Amy Perschbacher and Petro Tolas were sworn in as city commissioners after winning their positions in the November midterm elections. 

One of Joseph’s first duties as mayor was giving a proclamation in support of Peacemaking Recognition Day, which occurs on Jan. 21. 

(FROM LEFT TO RIGHT) Petro Tolas, Amy Perschbacher and Lori Gillis are sworn in as city commissioners on Jan. 7 in City Hall.

“Peacemaking is an action, activity, event or way of life which reduces or leads to a reduction of violence that leads to a more cooperative and just way we live together,” he said in his proclamation. “Peacemaking is the lifelong process that begins with ourselves.” 

Commissioners also set the times and dates for 2019 meetings. The commission will continue to meet at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Monday of the month.  

Visit the Mount Pleasant website for meeting minutes, agendas and cancellations throughout the year. Because of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, the next Mount Pleasant City Commission meeting will be held at 7 p.m. on Jan. 28.