2019 5-star P Luke Elzinga recognizes 'new energy' under McElwain, commits to CMU

dx3axfowsaegzid
Central Michigan five-star punter Luke Elzinga takes a picture with coach Jim McElwain on his Jan. 26 official visit. (Photo Credit: Luke Elzinga / Twitter)

Grand Rapids Christian 2019 five-star punter Luke Elzinga took an official visit to Central Michigan on Jan. 26 and immediately felt the energy of special teams coordinator Ryan Beard, a new addition to coach Jim McElwain's staff.

McElwain's assistant coaches, specifically Beard, connected with Elzinga while in Mount Pleasant to secure his commitment on Jan. 30.

He is expected to sign his national letter of intent to CMU on Feb. 6.

Elzinga, a 6-foot-4, 197-pound punter, picked CMU over SMU due to the full scholarship McElwain offered him.

"It takes a financial burden off my parents," Elzinga said. "The coaching staff is new, fired up and ready to turn the program around. That got me pumped."

On the trip to Mount Pleasant, Elzinga got a "home" feeling. He also enjoyed checking out the blueprint for the Chippewa Alumni Champions Center, a training facility expected to be functioning in 2021.

"The new coaching staff really made me feel at home," he said. "The installment of the facility will help CMU attract big talent in the future."

Beard spent an ample amount of time with Elzinga on the weekend trip, speaking directly with him about development as a player and man. It also helped that McElwain worked with special teams during his tenure at Montana State (1995-99) and Michigan State (2003-05).

"He's a great coach with tons of experience at all different levels," Elzinga said of McElwain. "He can help me develop, as well. I can't wait for him to be my coach."

Elzinga said he wants to see the field early in his CMU career but added it's too soon for him to tell how McElwain plans to utilize him. On the depth chart, Brady Buell sat behind senior punter Jack Sheldon in 2018.

Now that Sheldon has graduated, the expected battle for the punter position is between Buell and Elzinga. Aidan Jennings, a walk-on kicker and punter, will be a freshman in the 2019 season and could also enter the mix.

"I am able to flip fields to create better field position for the defense," Elzinga said. "I can roll out and pocket punt, which I think will help confuse the defense."

Two goals Elzinga has in mind for his time as a Chippewa are helping CMU win a Mid-American Conference championship and getting a bowl game invitation. He plans to major in business but is still figuring out long-term career ideas.

One player Elzinga met on his official visit was new quarterback transfer Quinten Dormandy. As a double transfer from Tennessee and Houston, Dormandy as played in 14 college football games, completing 102-of-181 passes for 1,290 yards, seven touchdowns and six interceptions.

"He was really easy to talk to and a really nice guy," Elzinga said.

CMU's 2019 class now has 19 scholarship members. Of the group, 16 put pen to paper during the December early signing period. 

Elzinga is the third since then to make a commitment to the Chippewas. The other two are defensive linemen Jacques Bristol and Fred Stokes.