Potential transfers Godwin, Dominguez recap official visits to Central Michigan

godwin18_osu_1_donaldson
South Alabama graduate transfer Rowan Godwin is looking for a landing spot, and Central Michigan could be his answer. (Photo Credit: South Alabama Athletics)

Two potential additions to the Central Michigan football team – South Alabama graduate transfer Rowan Godwin and Foothill College (JUCO) transfer Jake Dominguez – were in Mount Pleasant over the weekend for official visits.

From Jan. 18-20, the pair of offensive linemen checked out CMU as a possible destination for the 2019 campaign.

CMU coach Jim McElwain said Godwin and Dominguez are his top priorities as players to bring in on the offensive line.

"The reason you (Dominguez) and Rowan are here first is because you guys are first priority," Dominguez said McElwain expressed to him.

Rowan Godwin

On Jan. 18, Godwin flew into Mount Pleasant and met offensive line coach Derek Frazier at the airport. On Saturday, he met with the coaching staff, equipment staff, media relations and had a conversation with academic supervisors.

Godwin's most enjoyable part of the night was meeting CMU's players and potentially his future teammates. Once Sunday came around, Godwin met with academics once more before having a football meeting with Frazier and coach Jim McElwain.

"We discussed schemes and the offense as a whole," Godwin said. "We drew up plays and talked through them. Lastly, I had a personal meeting with coach McElwain and discussed my possible future with the Chippewas."

During time spent with McElwain, CMU's new coach expressed his "interest and desire" to have Godwin join the Chippewas.

"(McElwain) is such a great man," Godwin said. "It was a great experience for me. He told me to be patient and make a decision that is best for me and my future.

"It’s definitely a place I can see myself committing to."

As a 6-foot-4, 300-pound offensive lineman, Godwin began his college career at the United States Military Academy on the junior varsity team. He transferred to South Alabama prior to the 2016 season but was forced to sit out due to NCAA transfer rules.

During the year he was unable to participate, Godwin was named the offensive scout team award winner.

Godwin did not appear as a sophomore in 2017, but he was the starting right guard for his junior campaign in 2018. He will have one season of eligibility at his next university.

McElwain said he'd like to use Godwin immediately on the gridiron, as graduate transfer rules allow instant eligibility.

Foothill College (JUCO) offensive tackle transfer Jake Dominguez visited Central Michigan from Jan. 18-20. (Photo Credit: Foothill College Athletics)

Jake Dominguez

Dominguez, like Godwin, got to CMU on Jan. 18, but the major part of his trip was on Saturday. He checked out the facilities, checked out the campus and watched the CMU men's basketball take on Ball State.

Once the game was over, the football staff took Dominguez to a practice media session. He later got dinner with McElwain.

"They mimicked how the media is going to ask me questions," Dominguez said. "That was very cool, never did anything like that."

During his weekend conversations with McElwain, Dominguez said he was given praise for his character and playmaking abilities.

McElwain added, "You know, JUCO guys are the players that we think can have an impact for us right away."

On Sunday, Frazier spent time preaching to Dominguez the tradition of successful offensive linemen at CMU. Before leaving the trip, he was offered a scholarship to play for the Chippewas.

Dominguez said he informed the staff that the offer would be tough to pass up.

"The (official visit) couldn't have gone any better," he said. "I loved every second of it. I can definitely see myself (at CMU)."

Coming out of Independence High School, Dominguez sat out as a freshman and played in his sophomore 2018 season, meaning he has three years of eligibility remaining. He will be able to play immediately.