'Boy Erased' to be featured in SGA Cinema for Social Change series

dec-3-sga-6

SGA member Brett Houle speaks at the student government association meeting on Dec. 3, 2019 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The Central Michigan University Student Government Association Diversity Committee is partnering with Program Board, Sexual Aggression Peer Advocates and the Office of LGBTQ Services to show a screening of “Boy Erased” at 7 p.m. Feb. 21 in Pearce 127.

“Boy Erased” follows the son of a Baptist preacher who is forced into a gay conversion therapy program. This screening will be the second installment of the Cinema for Social Change series, which aims to promote conversation about relevant issues.

“We chose ('Boy Erased') due to its LGBTQ+ themes and how they contrast with themes of religions, which can be tricky subjects to navigate,” said SGA Diversity Chair Brett Houle.

Following the screening, a discussion about issues covered in the movie will be led by different professors, including counseling and special education faculty Terry McGlasson, director of LGBTQ services and gender equity programs Shannon Jolliff and philosophy and religion faculty Kelly Murphy.

“We think that this movie will bring some perspective to CMU students about the struggles that many in the LGBTQ+ community face,” Houle said. “None of us have seen the movie, but we hope that it will shed some light on the connections between religion and sexual orientation.”

Because “Boy Erased” contains potentially triggering scenes, SAPAs will be present to support any attendees who may feel uncomfortable. 

For more information, visit the events page here