Mount Pleasant Historic District Commission accepting nominations

screen-shot-2018-11-06-at-11-52-41-pm
Mount Pleasant City

The City of Mount Pleasant’s Historic District Commission is seeking nominations for the 2019 Historic Preservation Improvement Awards.

The awards are presented each year to honor exterior improvements of residential and commercial properties in the City of Mount Pleasant in the following four areas: preservation, restoration, new construction, Downtown Historic District Choice.

Nominated properties must be at least 25 years old and improvements must have been completed between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31. 

The HDC will evaluate applications that best reflect the Secretary of Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties. The standards include a series of concepts about maintaining, repairing and replacing historic materials. A full list of the standards can be found here.

“These awards offer individuals an opportunity to recognize and express appreciation to their fellow residents who not only take pride in maintaining their property, but are dedicated to retaining its historic character,” said Downtown Development Director Michelle Sponseller. 

Nominations are due by 4:30 p.m. on March 31. Nomination forms can be found on the city's website. Winners will be announced on May 13 as part of National Historic Preservation Month.