Positive psychologist Daniel Lerner to co-headline CMU Speaker Series

19293_logot

Positive psychologist Daniel Lerner is coming to Central Michigan University to discuss how to achieve greatness through rediscovering core strengths at 7:30 p.m. March 18 in Warriner Hall Plachta Auditorium.

According to the University of Pennsylvania's positive psychology center website, positive psychology is the scientific study of the strengths that enable individuals and communities to thrive.

The event is hosted by the University Speaker Series, which aims to bring a diverse group of speakers to educate and entertain the campus community. 

Each year, the committee establishes a theme for the Speaker Series. This year's theme is wellness, so the committee brought Lerner with the hopes that he will provide an engaging talk on individual and societal wellness.

“We are most looking forward the opportunity for people to interact with one-on-one with Dan at the meet and greet and also for his talk and the energy he will bring to campus,” said Kyle Scherr, department of psychology faculty and Speaker Series committee member.

All Speaker Series events are free and open to the public. There will also be a book signing after the talk for students to socialize with Lerner.

The Speaker Series will also bring Angie Thomas, author of the book "The Hate U Give," on April 8.

Lerner’s presentation will discuss how to approach life and achieve one's goals and ambitions in a meaningful manner that maintains personal well being and promotes positive societal change.  At the conclusion of the presentation, President Robert Davies will be the moderator for a Q&A session.

“We hope that Dan Lerner’s presentation will stimulate students’ self-reflection about their well being and also help students appreciate their role in effecting meaningful societal changes to improve the well being of others,” Scherr said.