Senior day emotional, not final, for women's basketball

kjt-8023

Senior guard Presley Hudson, right center, and senior forward Reyna Frost, left center, hug fellow members of the Central Michigan Women's Basketball team during their last home game. The Chippewas went on to defeat Toledo, 78-45 and clinched the Mid-American conference title.

Senior day in college basketball is one of the best traditions in the sport. Seniors are recognized for achievements over their careers and it's always emotional.

Sue Guevara recognized the emotion of the day and the game. The head coach of the Central Michigan women's basketball team decided to hold the recognition ceremony after the Chippewas 78-45 victory over Toledo in McGuirk Arena. 

"It's very emotional," Guevara said. "If you can keep that emotion out of it, you can go compete."

Competing is exactly what senior forward Reyna Frost and senior guard Presley Hudson did against the Rockets. Frost, a Reese native, led the all scorers with 32 points and 15 rebounds for her 13th straight double-double. Hudson picked up a double-double of her own with 28 points and 10 rebounds.

After Hudson's performance in the CMU victory she, along with Frost and guard Jaeda Robinson, were celebrated after the contest. It appeared as though Hudson, a native of Wayland, was the only one of the three to show emotion as she embraced Guevara.

"It was good," Hudson explained. She then pointed to Robinson and Frost saying, "It was amazing to play along side these two." 

The reception from the CMU faithful has supported the program for years beyond these with Hudson, Frost and Robinson on the squad. The three seniors on this year's team have seen success that has known no bounds. They have won four MAC West Division titles, three MAC regular season titles, a MAC Tournament championship and an appearance in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament. 

Robinson said it is difficult playing in front of the home crowd for the final time, but has been thankful for their support for the past four years. 

"I wouldn't trade (the fans) for anything," Robinson said. "The amount of love and support we get when we're in this arena and when we're in other arenas. We can always feel that maroon and gold, we see that maroon and gold and we see that presence and we take it with us everywhere we go."

Just because the regular season is over and the seniors have received their final curtain call at McGuirk Arena, does not mean that they have already faded to Central Michigan basketball memory just yet.

They still have business to attend to in the form of the postseason. 

Guevara said that she has not been caught up in the nostalgia factor with her players. She has not mentioned the sentiment of "this is your last practice or final game in McGuirk (Arena)." 

The 12-year head coach asked her players how they wanted their last practice of the regular season to run. Their response?

"Whatever helps us get ready."