Barnes Hall open house to allow former residents to celebrate its legacy

0f4a0398

Barnes Hall sits on the north side of CMU's campus on Dec. 5. on the campus of CMU. Barnes is to be demolished this summer in a new three-year plan by Residence Life. 

Central Michigan University alumni will have one last chance to say goodbye to their old residence hall during the Barnes Final Season Open House before it’s torn down.

The open house will take place from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. on April 20 in the Barnes Hall lobby. Current Residence Hall Director Luanne Goffnett said former residents will be able to walk through Barnes, reminisce about old times, eat food and be with former roommates. 

Residents will be provided with Sharpie markers to write their favorite memories on the dorm's walls. The event is free to attend.

Organized by the Barnes and Robinson Hall Council, Goffnett said the event is meant to celebrate the legacy of Barnes Hall.

Barnes Hall is scheduled for demolition this summer after the Board of Trustees voted to demolish it in December. Barnes is currently the longest standing dorm on CMU’s campus.

Barnes will be open to alumni throughout the week between April 20 and April 27 if they are not able to make the Saturday event. They just need to get an alumni button at Barnes’ front desk.