SHOP TALK: Los Amigos brings blend of authentic Mexican food to Mount Pleasant

losamigos
Los Amigos sits at 4520 Collegiate Way, Mount Pleasant, MI, March 16, 2019.

Los Amigos provides a mix of authentic Mexican and Americanized Mexican dishes for its Mount Pleasant customers.

Since March 29, 2018, the Mexican restaurant has been serving food to the community out of a small brown building located at 4520 Collegiate Way. The shop was opened by Gabriel Cortes and is managed by Tania Chavez.

The building previously housed two other restaurants before Los Amigos moved in. Chavez said there were little renovations that needed to be done. It already looked like a Mexican restaurant. 

The dining room is cozy, small and features a slightly rustic look. The walls of the dining room are a dark red, with metal and wooden canopy hanging over the windows.

The restaurant has an expansive menu that features a variety of dishes that are either Americanized or traditionally Mexican. Chavez said they wanted a mix of both on the menu because a lot of people like spicy food or simply can’t eat it. Everything, except the tortilla rolls made in Chicago, is made from scratch.

“They make their salsa every single day by hand and it tastes different every single time, but it’s good every single time,” said Gen Dole, a Los Amigos regular customer.

Despite having the look and taste of a classic Mexican restaurant, customers can't buy margaritas at Los Amigos. There is a sign on the front door that notifies customers that the restaurant doesn't serve any alcohol. 

Tania Chavez works behind the front counter of Los Amigos, 4520 Collegiate Way, Mt Pleasant, MI, Sunday, March 17, 2019.

The business is in the process of getting a beer and wine license. It wasn't able to get a liquor license, Chavez said on the owner's behalf.

Some customers prefer not having liquor, Chavez said.

Nolan Dole, Gen's husband, said the pair like knowing there will not be anybody out of control. 

One of the popular traditional meals is the molcajete, which is a mix of steak, shrimp, chicken, greens and charro beans served in a lava rock bowl. Chimichangas and the burrito deluxe are two of the most popular Americanized dishes. The menu also offers vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options for guests. A full menu can be found on their website.

“There’s always been a need for something (in Mount Pleasant) that’s a little more authentic,” Nolan said. “We’ve got a few other (Mexican restaurants) in town and some parts are better than others. When you order anything here, it’s all really good.”