Sean Bunting selected No. 39 overall by Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2019 NFL Draft

Central Michigan cornerback Sean Bunting warms up prior to taking on Western Michigan on Oct. 20 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Sean Bunting is headed to Tampa Bay.

With the No. 39 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, Bunting was selected by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"It was just a blessing," Bunting said. "I was just in shock. I couldn't stop smiling. It's truly a blessing. I'm very honored and grateful to the Bucs organization."

Now that Bunting has been picked in the second round, the cornerback is expected to join post-draft rookie minicamp with the Buccaneers this May. The first week of the regular season begins on Sept. 5.

"I'm just ready to win a championship and join their culture," Bunting said. "Man, I'm just excited."

The 6-foot, 195-pound Central Michigan product finished out his career in Mount Pleasant with 104 tackles, 3.5 tackles for a loss, nine interceptions, 15 passes defended, one fumble recovery and four forced fumbles in three seasons.

Bunting was just one of four draft-eligible cornerbacks to not allow a single touchdown in 2018. He played all 12 games for CMU and opposing quarterbacks rarely threw toward the receiver Bunting was covering.

At the NFL Scouting Combine on March 4, Bunting registered a 4.42-second 40-yard dash, 14 reps on the bench press, 41.5-inch vertical jump and 126-inch broad jump. He met with 19 teams before the draft.

CMU has now had players picked in back-to-back NFL drafts, as tight end Tyler Conklin was selected by the Minnesota Vikings at No. 157 overall. 

Since Antonio Brown and Dan LeFevour were taken in 2010, the Chippewas have had five players drafted – Eric Fisher (No. 1 overall), Leterrius Walton (No. 199 overall), Kavon Frazier (No. 212 overall), Conklin and Bunting.

Cornerbacks to go ahead of Bunting in the draft were Georgia's Deandre Baker (New York Giants), Washington's Byron Murphy (Arizona Cardinals) and Temple's Rock Ya-Sin (Indianapolis Colts).

Fellow cornerback Xavier Crawford is also expected to be selected in the NFL Draft, as Bleacher Report's Matt Miller has him pegged as the No. 208 overall (sixth round) to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. A few other Chippewas should be picked up as undrafted free agents, which will begin to become evident on Saturday evening.