Central Michigan hires Joel Welsh as strength and conditioning coach

Central Michigan has added Joel Welsh from Delaware State as its new strength and conditioning coach, replacing former coach Jason Novak. (Photo Credit: Delaware State Athletics)

Central Michigan has hired Joel Welsh as its new strength and conditioning coach, according to a source close to the athletic department.

Welsh comes from Delaware State as the replacement for former strength and conditioning coach Jason Novak, who recently departed from the Chippewas for a different job.

CMU Athletics has yet to respond to a request for public comment.

Prior to joining CMU's staff, Welsh worked for Delaware State as its head strength and conditioning coach since 2016. Before then, he was a strength and conditioning assistant for Iowa football dating back to 2012.

Delaware State competes in Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) and finished 3-8 overall and 2-5 in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference under first-year coach Rod Milstead in 2018.

In Welsh's two seasons with former Delaware State coach Kenny Carter at the helm, the Hornets were 0-11 overall in 2016 and 2-9 in 2017.

When Welsh was with the Hawkeyes' football program, the team made it to the 2016 Rose Bowl, 2015 TaxSlayer Bowl and 2014 Outback Bowl.

From August 2010 to May 2012, Welsh was at Division III Springfield College as a graduate assistant – specializing in strength and conditioning. He began his career as the strength and conditioning coordinator at Division II Queens College from 2008-10.

Welsh earned his bachelor's degree in family nutrition and exercise science from Queens College and his master's in strength and conditioning from Springfield College.