'I'm excited for him': Jim McElwain discusses facing former CMU wide receiver Julian Hicks

cmuvsmsu-fb-3

Redshirted freshman wide receiver Julian Hicks catches a ball for a touchdown while being hit by a MSU defender Sept. 29 at Spartan Stadium in East Lansing.

The last time Julian Hicks took the field at Kelly/Shorts Stadium was Nov. 10, 2018, against Bowling Green.

He made two receptions for 40 yards and a touchdown. Hicks finished the season with 28 catches for 313 yards and four scores.

Just after the season ended with a 1-11 record, former coach John Bonamego was fired and Jim McElwain was hired as his replacement in early December.

Once spring practice concluded, Hicks decided to enter the NCAA transfer portal. His time in the portal ended with him making his way to Akron, near his hometown.

Hicks was granted eligibility for the 2019 season but sustained a shoulder injury in fall camp. He missed Akron's opening game of the season but returned for the 31-20 loss to UAB last weekend. 

When he chose to join the Zips, Hicks told Central Michigan Life that McElwain wanted him to leave the program in Mount Pleasant.

"He could care less," Hicks said of McElwain in May. "He said I was hurting the team. Just know he has to see me in week 3."

Well, the third week of the season is here.

The Chippewas have a 1-1 record entering their Mid-American Conference opener Saturday at Kelly/Shorts Stadium against Akron, a program marked 0-2 thus far. Hicks will face his former teammates and play in the stadium that he called home for the last two years.

McElwain, who coached Hicks in spring camp, noted the NCAA transfer portal allows players the opportunity to be happy and find the right fit if things don't work out at the player's current program. 

The first-year coach did not comment on if Hicks was truly hurting the team or the reasoning behind his departure from CMU's team.

"I want these guys to be happy with where they're at and how they affect the people around them in a positive way," McElwain said. "For him, this change of environment, I'm excited for him. 

"He's able to get a little bit closer to home and hopefully, he's able to find what he's looking for. Nothing but the best for him and what he did."

Hicks was one of the best receivers for the Chippewas in 2018, statistically speaking. The redshirt sophomore looks to do more of the same this time around, just not in the maroon and gold jersey.

McElwain knows the skillset Hicks possesses. The challenge is to stop the former two-star receiver from Mayfield High School, located in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland.

"He's a really good player, I wish him the best and hope he doesn't come back to bite us, but he certainly can," McElwain added. "The big piece there is, I just go back, I just want guys to be happy and be proud of where they're at."