Targeting call deemed 'incorrect' by MAC; Willie Reid still must sit first half vs. EMU

Central Michigan defensive back Willie Reid goes through stretches at practice Sept. 17 at the Bennett Track Field.

The Mid-American Conference has announced an officiating mistake.

With 4:07 left in the third quarter, Central Michigan defensive back Willie Reid made a tackle on Western Michigan wide receiver Jaylen Hall – after he made a catch for 15 yards.

Reid was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct on the tackle. However, after further review of the play, officials ejected him from the game for targeting, claiming he used the crown of his helmet to make contact with the crown of Hall's helmet.

Upon an even further review, the conference stated Reid should not have been disqualified from CMU's 31-15 loss in the second half. The instant replay crew was incorrect.

Even though the conference admitted the mistake, Reid will still be disqualified from playing in the first half against Eastern Michigan.

Coordinator of Football Officials for the Collegiate Officiating Consortium Bill Carollo made an announcement regarding the tackle Monday afternoon.

“After a thorough review and evaluation of the entire Central Michigan at Western Michigan contest, this specific targeting call on Central Michigan defensive back Willie Reid was incorrect," Carollo said. "The game official’s primary responsibility is player safety and we will always try to err on the side of safety especially when potential targeting fouls are involved. 

"In this particular case the targeting foul did not rise to the high standard we expect from our game officials and replay crew. A targeting indicator must be present and it must be in an attacking manner with forcible contact. On this play the replay official should not have initiated and confirmed the call."

Reid is ranked No. 8 on the team with 12 tackles, tied with three other players – safety Alonzo McCoy, defensive tackle LaQuan Johnson and defensive end Troy Hairston. 

The Chippewas (2-3, 1-2 MAC) take on the Eagles (3-1) at 3 p.m. Oct. 5 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant.