CMUPD celebrates 50th anniversary with community

A young Mount Pleasant resident learns to work a police radio at the CMUPD's 50th anniversary celebration on Oct. 15

Central Michigan University police officers, current and retired, joined with students, faculty and Mount Pleasant community members to celebrate the department's 50th anniversary.

The celebration was held on Oct. 15 at the CMU police station. Despite cold weather, heavy rainfall and a malfunctioning grill, the officers patrolled the station with their families by their side and smiles on their faces.

Many officers saw the event as an opportunity to interact with students in a positive context. 

"I think CMUPD bridges a gap of safety and security for students. Letting them know we want them to feel comfortable and safe goes a long way," said Officer Laura Martinez. "A lot of individuals forget that we as police officers are people, we are moms and grandmas aunts and uncles, people just like anyone else."

Attendees mingled with the officers and feasted on cake and hot dogs. The CMUPD also opened its MILO training system to the public which uses audio and video to simulate real-life police scenarios.

Laughter filled the station as children of the officers and community members climbed into police cruisers, tested equipment and toured the offices. 

"My two little ones have been very interested in police recently," said Mount Pleasant resident Katarina Marcinekova. "This is a good event for them to come and see police cars, policemen and maybe talk to someone about it all."

Many retired police officers returned home and were greeted by the next generation of law enforcement. Former CMU Police Officer Tom Tubbs retired in 2009 after 39 years in CMUPD. When Tubbs began his service the station was a house on Preston Street. 

"CMU has really grown for the positive. I think the department interacts with the students really well. Back in the '70s, it wasn't that way, there was lots of friction from the Vietnam war," Tubbs said. "There are a lot of changes, things are different now."

Stanley Dinius was hired as a patrolman in 1970 and served 12 years as a patrolman, sergeant and lieutenant. From 1982 to 2002 Dinius had worked at Ferris State University but eventually returned to CMU as the chief of police, retiring in 2009.

As Dinius reunited with his fellow officers he imagined what CMUPD will be like in another 50 years.

"They aren't here just to throw kids in jail, they're here to help with the education process," Dinius said. "I hope they keep up with all the issues and maintain the same level of professionalism they maintained in the past."