Students can learn about Native American culture all November long

rock-your-mocs
Rock Your Mocs poster (Courtesy Photo | Office of Diversity and Inclusion)

The Native American Programs section of the Center for Inclusion and Diversity will be hosting a wide variety of events for Native American Heritage Month from parfleche (leather) painting, to a small selection of film exhibitions.

A highlight of the month will be the food taster to take place in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Students will be welcomed to a tasting of traditional and contemporary Native American foods, followed by a game of “shi-shi-be,” Potawatomi language bingo. Participants should bring non-perishable food items or toiletry donations for admission to the event.

Director of Native American Programs Colleen Green thinks that the month of events will be beneficial to students.

“In general, just looking at somebody else’s culture and really embracing that is what we need,” Green said. “Whether it’s Native American Heritage Month, Black History Month or Women’s History Month, any of those events we put on as a university are always beneficial to a student who’s going to be working in the real world.”

A full list of the month's events can be seen below. More information on the film showings will be available in the coming week.

Native American Heritage Month Events

• Rock Your Mocs | Every day in November
  • Cards, Coffee & Cocoa: Community building over card games, 12-1 p.m. every Thursday in November
  • Parfleche Painting, 5-6 p.m. and 6:30-7:30 p.m November 5 in the Center for Inclusion & Diversity, UC 108 (Limited Seating)
  • Food Taster, 5-7 p.m. November 11, UC Rotunda
  • Soup & Substance, 12-1 p.m.November 13, UC Terrace Rooms A-D
  • Readers' Theater: Stories within the Walls of the Mount Pleasant Industrial Boarding School 1893-1934, 6 p.m. November 13 in the Sarah and Daniel Opperman Auditorium
  • Keshjee': Navajo Shoe Game, 5:30-8 p.m. November 14, Center for Inclusion & Diversity
  • Conversations Around Healing, 5:30-7 p.m. November 9, Center for Inclusion & Diversity
  • Indigenous Films at Noon, 12 p.m. November 25-27, Center for Inclusion & Diversity