CMU bands prepare for PRISM concert

studymusicbuilding_mt_01

The lobby of the Music Building on campus serves as a relaxing and peaceful place to study while listening to music leaking out of various practice rooms and classrooms.  (File Photo)

Central Michigan University bands will be teaming up to showcase a variety of music in one concert.

The Wind Symphony, Symphonic Wind Ensemble and Marching Chips will be performing at the PRISM concert at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 8 in the school of music: Staples Family Concert Hall.

During the first half of the show, the Wind Symphony and Symphonic Wind Ensemble will perform. After intermission, the Marching Chips will take the stage to play music from their football season.

"The Wind Symphony is playing an energetic Galop by Russian Composer Dmitri Shostakovich and a light Afro-Cuban carnival procession entitled La Comparsa," said school of music faculty member James Batcheller. "The Wind Ensemble will play José Pablo Moncayo's Huapango, which is based on three Mexican folk dances: Siqui Siri, Balajú, and El. Gavilán."

The first half of the concert will be ended with CMU professor Emeritus David Gillingham's "Fire Up" to showcase the university's musical heritage. 

"The Marching Chips will perform music from three of our halftime shows, ranging from The Beatles, Aretha Franklin, and Toto to Russian Opera and Beethoven's Fifth Symphony," Batcheller said.

The concert is free and open to the public.

"This is an opportunity to experience the broad range of what our bands have to offer in a concert setting that's exciting and family-friendly," Batcheller said. "Hearing protection is provided free of charge for this 'up close and personal' experience with the Marching Chips. Folks are encouraged to arrive early since seating for this event fills quickly."