GameChangers conference begins Saturday, Feb. 29

gamechangerfinal

The GameChangers Conference logo. (Courtesy Photo)

Central Michigan University students can learn about topics from career development to mental health at the upcoming GameChangers conference.

Multicultural Academic Student Services will host the event at 9 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 29 in the Bovee University Center Rotunda. Registration is $30 per participant, and there is an option to register online.

The conference is aimed towards men of color and seeks to “educate and motivate” college and high school students, said Detroit senior Chavez Webb, but the conference is open to everyone.

“It is an impactful conference,” Webb said while speaking of his experience at the previous GameChangers event. “The speakers that were there (are) great leaders on campus.”

After registration, the conference will provide breakfast before moving to workshop groups throughout the University Center. There will also be lunch towards the end of the event.

CMU trustee Isaiah Oliver will present the keynote speech at 2:15 p.m. in the UC Rotunda. Oliver is a Flint-born president and CEO of the Community Foundation of Greater Flint. The foundation works to improve literacy rates, increase access to food and provide resources to children affected by the water crisis.

The conference is currently advised by graduate student Julio Velasco and run by a committee through the Multicultural Academic Student Services office.

The conference is aiming for 60 students, compared to last year’s turnout of 50 students.