Experience living art: Creative writing faculty to present latest work Feb. 20

img_2254

Associate English Professor Robert Fanning introduces Karli Henning for The Wellspring Literary Series on March 20 at Art Reach. 

Two creative writing faculty members are reading aloud their latest work this month.

At 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20 in Charles V. Park Library’s Baber room, English language and literature faculty members Robert Fanning and Darrin Doyle will debut some of their newest works in the latest installment of the Faculty Writers’ Series.

After a prolific fall season, Fanning, a poet, will exhibit a number of brand-new poems at the event, while Doyle, who is primarily a fiction writer, is reading excerpts from his newest, forthcoming work, “The Big Baby Crime Spree and Other Delusions.” 

The English department hosts faculty readings twice per year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Faculty members take turns presenting each time. Last semester, creative writing faculty members Jeffrey Bean and Matthew Roberson read some of their most recent works. 

"Here’s a chance to experience the living art in front of you, to hear it read," Fanning said. "If you really love writing and love ideas, come and sit and listen to them… it’s a lot of fun.”

Based on past events, organizers are expecting a large crowd.

“We usually see large turnouts to these events. Quite often, it’s standing room only," Fanning said. “There’s a really vibrant community of young writers here, and they love going to these live events.”

Fanning has also started and continues to orchestrate the Wellspring Literary Series, a similarly fashioned event which endeavors to increase exposure for Michigan writers. The next installment comes in March.

The Faculty Writers’ Series is free and open to the public.