Retiring faulty member runs against incumbent in Isabella County Commission primary election

Two Democrats, William Dailey and James Moreno, are competing to represent District 5 on the Isabella County Commission. 

The Democratic primary election for Isabella County Commission will take place on Aug. 4. There is no Republican opposition on the Nov. 3 ballot.

Isabella County's 5th District includes most of Central Michigan University’s campus such as the area north of High Street and west of Mission Street, the area bounded by Watson Street to the west and Mission Street to the east and the area bounded by High Street to the north and Preston Street to the south. 

Moreno has been the District 5 County Commissioner on the Isabella County Commission for the last 12 years. Before that he served as a city commissioner for Mount Pleasant from 2002 to 2008 and was Regional Field Director of Protect Working Families from 2011-2012.

Moreno is Latino and is currently the only person of color on the county commission.

Dailey is a former CMU faculty member. He has served as the chairman of CMU’s Communications and Dramatic Arts Department and will officially retire from the university in August. He has also served as a member of the city’s planning commission starting in 2013.

Dailey and Moreno actually served together when Dailey was a county commissioner from 2009 to 2012. Now, they are battling each other for another chance to serve their county.