YAF sponsoring Film showing

Young Americans for Freedom president Dennis Lennox II said the number one issue facing America today is the threat of Islamofascism.

YAF will sponsor a showing of "Obsession: Radical Islam's War against the West" at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

"This is not a partisan issue," said Lennox, a Topinabee sophomore. "Everyone should come out and see the film; they should understand that this country faces a serious threat."

The film uses images from Arab television, along with interviews, expert analysis and first-hand accounts of a Nazi youth commander, the daughter of a martyred guerilla leader and a former Palestinian Liberation Organization member to tell its story.

"(The film's) main goal is education," said Karyn Lessel, campus coordinator for the film. "We want students to watch (the film) and feel overwhelmed."

The film currently is on the college circuit, with a recent showing at UCLA and a scheduled showing at Michigan State University.

However, the reaction to the film has not been all positive.

Pace University and the State University of New York (SUNY)-Stony Brook banned screenings of the film.

According to an article published on Dec. 7, 2006, in The Statesman, Stony Brook's student newspaper, many Muslim students were upset with the film being shown on campus.

The Muslim Student Association's president was quoted as saying he was upset with the one-sided nature of the film.

"Most of the times (the screenings) have gone well - it's a mixed crowd, some like it, some don't and some are in shock," Lessel said. "There's a whole array of reactions to the film and that's very normal."

There has also been negative reactions about the film closer to home. Instances were reported of people tearing the posters off of the walls of Anspach and Brooks halls.

However, the film still will be shown.

Lennox said the reason he is bringing the film to campus is because there is not enough dialogue on campus about the impact of terrorism.

"(Terrorism) is not something that is talked about on campus," Lennox said. "You don't worry about that stuff as a college student, but it should be taught on campus that there is a perverse sect of Islam - not all of Islam, thankfully - but a growing movement that is radicalized that hate America and want to destroy everything American."

At the end of the showing, students will have an opportunity to participate in an open forum to discuss the film.

Staff Reporter Katie Pizza contributed to this report.

lifeline@cm-life.com