Sports Update: Volleyball opens MAC play with victory

The CMU volleyball team stretched its win streak to six matches with a victory against Eastern Michigan Friday.

The 3-2 win was the first against a Mid-American Conference opponent. The match went back and forth as Central took every other set.

“The second half of the match we played with poise and a lot of fight,” said coach Erik Olson. “But it was not our best night in terms of skill and execution.”

Sophomore outside hitter Lauren Krupsky led the team with 18 kills, including the final off a set from senior setter Stephanie Budde. Krupsky also added two aces to the team’s eight total.

Freshman middle blocker Danielle Gotham became the go to hitter in the fifth set as she connected for four of the teams 10 total kills in the final set. Senior middle blocker Katilyn Hurt added 12 kills and two blocks.

“We got away from getting balls to our middles, and Gotham was open at the end of the match,” Olson said. “We didn’t get the ball to our middles quite as much as I would have liked.”

The Chippewas travel to Athens, OH on Saturday to take on the defending MAC champion Ohio.

“Half of our team just had their first MAC match of their career and there was some nerves there,” Olson said. “It feels win to get that first win under our belt, but tonight was not indicative of who we are.”

Check cm-life.com for more sports updates throughout the weekend and check Monday's edition for expanded coverage.