BREAKING NEWS: External sound systems allowed starting at Saturday's tailgate

foootball-lm-0111
Libby March/Staff Photographer New regulations limit tailgating attendance Saturday afternoon in Lot 63. "No one's going to go to the game because of this," said Shepherd junior Shannon Sullivan. "This isn't CMU tailgate."

Central Michigan University will amend the new tailgating procedures to allow students to use external sound systems in Lot 63 starting with this Saturday’s tailgate before the football game at noon against Eastern Michigan.

The sound systems will have to adhere to certain requirements pertaining to emergency situations, according to a joint statement released by the athletics department today.

University officials are working with a student ad-hoc committee formed by Student Government Association President Jason Nichol to ensure there is greater communication and understanding of tailgating expectations in Lot 63.

Nichol said the committee is looking at other possible amendments to the policies, but their primary focus at this time involves the ban on external sound systems.

“The students stood up,” said Nichol, a Mount Pleasant senior. “We hope (this change) will draw the majority of the fraternities and sororities back. It will also draw more people away from Main Street. One of the unique parts about CMU is that tailgating culture, (and Athletics) has been really receptive to the student input.”

SGA Vice President Brittany Mouzourakis, a Garden City senior, said such a committee is formed whenever there is a pressing issue on campus, in this case tailgating.

The statement was released today from Interfraternity Council President Brandyn Lawson, CMU Police Chief Bill Yeagley, Athletics Director Dave Heeke and Nichol. It discusses the group’s intentions, as well as the lift on the external sound system ban.

Individuals with external sound systems can pre-purchase a parking pass for Lot 63 and will be required to set up sound systems three and a half hours before the start of the game.

"This is something the students are supportive of and will increase participation in the student lot," Heeke said. "Quite frankly, students have the choice to tailgate, like any of our fans, wherever they want. But, the more students that come out, the better the atmosphere and overall experience becomes."

A limited number of these parking passes will be available for sale at 8 a.m. Thursday at the Athletic Ticket Office for $6.

“All other tailgating expectations remain unchanged and will be reasonably enforced,” the statement read.

Senior Reporter Jake May contributed to this report.

Click here to see all other stories pertaining to tailgate.