Volleyball awaits rival Eastern Michigan

The volleyball team can sweep the season series against Eastern Michigan at 8 p.m. Thursday in Rose Arena.

The Chippewas defeated their in-state rivals in the team’s first meeting of the season in a five-set match Sept. 25 in Ypsilanti.

“We have gotten a lot better since the last time we played them,” said coach Erik Olson. “We struggled with our decision making and we struggled with our attack, but we have really come into our own now.”

CMU has not lost a match at home this season (4-0). The team is on a three-match win streak. Junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky hit for 26 kills in the last two home matches. The team won both in straight sets.

Central’s defense outdug its last two opponents 82-56. Its last two opponents also failed to reach an attack percentage higher than .100.

Since playing EMU the first time, freshman middle blocker Danielle Gotham has moved from the middle to the right side. The move has made her more of a force on offense.

“I have played both positions before, but I feel like I have been clicking in practice better since moving,” Gotham said. “I’m really excited to get another chance to play Eastern.”

EMU struggles

Eastern Michigan (3-22, 2-8 Mid-American Conference) is on a seven-game losing streak and is in last place in the West Division.

The Eagles are 0-5 in five-set matches this season. The team also is 0-11 in road matches.

The Chippewas have beaten the Eagles in four of the last five matches between the two teams.

Central’s 6-4 MAC record has it in a tie for second in the West Division. It is two games behind Western Michigan.

“We want to put ourselves in good position to catch Western and win a division title,” Olson said. “But for now, we want to make sure we put ourselves in a good seed for the tournament.”

CMU has a one-day break after the match against EMU before playing Kent State in Rose Arena. The match against Kent State begins at 7 p.m. Saturday.