Bobcats end volleyball's MAC run

The CMU volleyball team’s Mid-American Conference season concluded after advancing to the tournament semifinals for the first time since 1996.

Central lost 3-1 against No. 1 seed Ohio on Saturday after sweeping Northern Illinois in the quarterfinal round.

“Everybody in the MAC is a legitimate team,” said junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky. “The team that shows up and plays the hardest is going to win.”

Central split the first two sets with the Bobcats early in the match. The team dropped the third set and came within two points of winning the fourth set. Its 23-20 lead slipped away, as Ohio won 25-23.

“It was one of the highest-level matches I had ever been a part of in Division I volleyball,” said coach Erik Olson. “It was an epic battle between two awesome teams. It looked like a match between two top 10 teams.”

Despite the loss, CMU’s offense was evenly matched against Ohio. Central hit for 56 kills and a .315 attack percentage. Krupsky and sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz hit for a team-high 16 kills.

Ohio senior Ellen Herman had 20 kills, and four Bobcats hit for double-digit kills.

“It was great shot after great shot,” Olson said. “It was a powerful and great performance.”

Quarterfinals

CMU advanced to the quarterfinal round for the third consecutive year — however, it had not made it past that round in 13 years.

CMU defeated NIU in straight sets for the second time this season.

Krupsky led the Chippewas offense with 16 kills and was the only one with double-digit kills. The season is not over for CMU, however. The team will face Marquette at 8 p.m. Friday in Milwaukee, Wisc.