Lonneman sets dig record for volleyball team

The CMU volleyball team broke its concentration and focused on senior libero Alexis Lonneman for a moment during Saturday’s sweep of Northern Illinois.

Lonneman became the first player in school history to hit for more than 2,000 career digs.

A career’s worth of work culminated in the first set, when Lonneman eclipsed the mark and broke Ali McCrite’s career-dig record of 1,996. She finished Saturday with 2,019, including 27 from the match.

“It was a great feeling,” Lonneman said. “As a team, we got the win and I broke the record, it is just an awesome feeling.”

Lonneman came into the weekend needing 34 digs in the last two matches to clinch the record. She posted 29 digs the first match.

“Alexis was pretty phenomenal this weekend,” said coach Erik Olson. “She certainly outdug her average and just preformed greatly.”

When McCrite set the career digs record in 2005, the number appeared insurmountable — the previous record, 1,289, stood for 15 years before McCrite passed it by more than 700 digs.

“I’ve wanted it from the time I was a freshman,” Lonneman said. “It has always been in the back of my mind and I knew I was going to get it.”

Career’s work

Lonneman joined the Chippewas in 2006, the year after McCrite graduated. She instantly garnered respect as a defensive specialist and was given the title of libero early in her career. She missed two games her freshman year and has played in every match since.

“Alexis has anchored our defense for the last four years,” Olson said. “She certainly had to grow throughout her time here, in terms of staying tough and consistent throughout the good matches and the bad.”

Lonneman will have at least one more match to add to the record as the team will host the first round of the Mid-American Conference Tournament at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Rose Arena against Eastern Michigan.

“It means my name is always going to be here,” Lonneman said. “I wanted it ever since I was a freshman. It was amazing.”