Volleyball advances to second round of MACs

volleyball-mms
The volleyball team defeated Eastern Michigan 3-2 in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament and will play Northern Illinois at 11 a.m. Friday in Toledo in the second round. (Matthew Stephens/Presentation Editor)

After squandering a seven-point lead in the fourth set, the CMU volleyball team was able to rally in the final set and advance to the quarterfinals of the Mid-American Conference tournament.

Central had taken a 24-17 lead in the fourth set and needed only one more point to defeat the Eagles. However, EMU went on to score seven straight points and took the set 30-28.

“We relaxed and had a moment when we thought we had the match wrapped up,” said coach Erik Olson. “And you can just never do that. You haven’t won anything until you’ve won it.”

The Chippewas came out flat in the fifth set and looked as though they might have an early exit from the tournament as they found itself down 12-9 and three points away from elimination.

Olson took a time out to regain the team’s composure.

“All of us sensed the passion and the intensity as we looked around and realized that our season could be over,” said senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Hurt. "I looked into the eyes of (Lauren) Krupsky and you could see the fire in her eyes and she fired me up.”

PHOTO GALLERY • Check out images from the volleyball team's victory against Eastern Michigan in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky took the team on her back after the time out and hit for four kills leading CMU to 16-14 fifth set victory. Krupsky hit for a total of 19 kills, which tied the lead with sophomore middle blocker Kaitlyn Schultz.

“In the fourth set we just thought we were going to win it,” Schultz said. “And you can never think that in volleyball, ever. But we went into the fifth set knowing we had to play with passion and just have fun.”

Central saw two different offenses come in the third and fourth sets as the team hit for a .345 attack percentage and then hit a .087 respectively. Schultz hit for a floor leading .459 attack percentage and had three block assists.

With the win, the Chippewas advanced past the first round of the MAC tournament for the third consecutive year.

CMU plays Northern Illinois NIU at 11 a.m. on Friday in Toledo.

“We have to keep working on our blocking,” Schultz said. “Our back row did pretty well tonight, but our blocking struggled and we will need to get better if we want to win this.”