Volleyball plays at Toledo, Ball State

The volleyball team will play its final two games away from home this weekend.

CMU plays at Toledo at 7 p.m. today and at Ball State at 1 p.m. Sunday.

“We spent so much time on the road in the beginning of the season that it really doesn’t affect us anymore,” said junior outside hitter Lauren Krupsky.

Some changes in the lineup will stay consistent with last weekend. Freshman outside hitter Katie Schuette impressed enough in her first start last weekend to keep her starting spot this weekend. Schuette had 12 kills against Kent State last Saturday.

Toledo, 7-2 at home, was swept last weekend by Northern Illinois and Western Michigan. Both matches were lost in straight sets.

Central also swept the Rockets in their first meeting earlier this season.

“I don’t know that we got Toledo’s best game the last time they were here,” said coach Erik Olson. “I don’t think they competed up to the level they are capable of and I am expecting more from them this weekend.”

CMU barely defeated Ball State earlier this season in a five-set match (9-25, 25-27, 25-21, 25-23, 15-12).

The day in between the two matches is rare for the Chippewas, who usually play matches on back-to-back days.

“It’s different (because) we have to keep the team busy and focused,” Olson said. “But it is also nice to have the time late in the season to recover when usually we only have 24 hours.”

Ball State struggled throughout October, going 3-7. But the Cardinals managed to finish the month with a 3-0 victory against Northern Illinois, tied with CMU for second in the MAC West division.

“Ball State is a completely different team than what we saw the first time we played them,” Olson said. “They have a lefty in their lineup and they moved their outside hitter to the middle. It has provided much better ball control for them.”

Central will finish the season at home against MAC West leader Western Michigan and NIU next weekend.

“The postseason is really creeping up in our minds,” said senior middle blocker Kaitlyn Hurt. “We just want to finish these last couple of matches strong and really hit our stride in the tournament.”