Fashion trends gone from baggy to skinny over last 10 years

Good and bad trends will come and go — but the good ones last longer.

Saginaw junior Cameron McDonald said people adjust to different trends.

“All trends eventually come back, some better than others, trends go out of style once everyone adapts to the trend,” McDonald said.

Since 2000, styles have changed. While it used to be regular or baggy jeans, it is now skinny jeans or leggings.

“In 2001, I bought a pair of jeans without trying them on and, when I got home, I realized they were skinny jeans, and I was like, ‘What are these?,’ but now I wear them all the time,” said Detroit senior Natalie Hicks.

Hicks said another change in the last decade in fashion has been the change in how brands were in fashion.

“People were all about name brands. There was no Forever 21,” Hicks said. “It was all about matching and different colored jeans.”

Even makeup and hair has changed.

“I think it went from loud-colored makeup to more subtle colors,” said Arrionna Dryden, Detroit junior.

Weave is more accepted, McDonald said — women are not ashamed to say they are wearing a wig or sew-in — weave is more of a style or trend. Having long hair one day and short the next is okay.

Some changes may be small, but some changes in style are big and more noticed.

The entertainment industry also could be another reason for changes in style.

“In some cases, fashion was extremely tacky, where women wearing more revealing clothing than (girls) before them, and men have lost the will to wear their jeans on their waist and not at the bottom of their butts,” Dryden said.

Even though styles are constantly changing, some do not see it as a bad thing.

“We are in a society where individualism is at its peak,” Dryden said.