Dow Chemical looking into building manufacturing plant

A proposed manufacturing facility in Midland could bring 1,200 new jobs to areas around central Michigan, including Mount Pleasant.

The Dow Chemical Company announced last week that Midland is the preferred site for its new manufacturing plant for Powerhouse solar shingles. The unemployment rate in Isabella County is 9.6 percent — a number some say could be reduced with the addition of the new facility.

As Mount Pleasant is 26 miles from Midland, Dow Director of Public Affairs Kate Nigro said jobs are likely to extend to Mount Pleasant residents.

“The expected growth (of jobs) will be in the manufacturing, commercial and technical areas,” she said.

Although Midland is the preferred site for the facility, Nigro said they are still working to secure funding from local, state and federal authorities before they finalize the project.

Nigro said The Michigan Economic Development Corporation may give Dow $140 million in incentives for the development to support the addition of green jobs and clean energy services. The company is expecting to have that confirmed by the end of this month.

Dow also is looking to secure local funds, she said, but details are not yet available. The hiring process will likely start toward the end of this year and updates will be available at the company’s Web site, dowinmichigan.com.

Nigro said Dow hopes to take advantage of Michigan’s manufacturing base and workers experienced in the field who may have lost their jobs during the auto industry’s decline.

“Alternative energy and green jobs are being viewed as one of the key industries to bring back jobs lost,” said Brian Anderson, president of Middle Michigan Development Corporation.

Job creation, he said, is one of the main reasons state and federal governments have been pushing for production of these types of facilities.

Anderson said the establishment of the Dow facility in the local area will undoubtedly be a great asset to the community.

He believes the plant will not only bring new jobs back to the area, but also more people.

“With so many great neighborhoods and schools, it would be safe to assume many new hires to Dow Chemical would choose to live in Isabella County,” he said.