Baseball thumps Concordia to win second consecutive

The Central Michigan baseball team won its second consecutive game Wednesday, defeating Concordia 13-3 at Theunissen Stadium.

Senior third baseman James Teas went 4-for-5 with three RBIs and three runs to lead CMU. Teas got the bat going early with a two-run home run in the first inning that gave the Chippewas an early lead.

“I was happy to get some runs on the board early,” said Teas. “We played an all-around good game today. We never stopped fighting.”

After Concordia (4-7) tied the game at 2 in the sixth inning, CMU scored three runs in the sixth, five runs in the seventh and three runs in the eighth to run away with the win.

Senior first baseman Tyler Kipke went 3-for-5 with four RBIs while sophomore Nate Theunissen added two hits and three RBIs in a pinch-hitting role.

Junior left-handed pitcher Matt Faiman, who regularly plays right field, got the win in his first career start, giving up just one earned run, four hits and striking out five in 5 innings of work.

“I thought he pitched really well today,” said coach Steve Jaksa. “He just got tired. Tomorrow will be a great day off for him.”

The win improves the Chippewas’ record to 6-6 on the season.

CMU will open a four-game series against Illinois State with a doubleheader on Friday in Normal, Ill.

Check Friday’s CM-Life for expanded coverage on the win and preview of this weekend’s series against Illinois State.