Baseball uses early lead to beat Bowling Green

Sophomore William Arnold had four hits and four runs batted in Wednesday as the CMU baseball team defeated Bowling Green 12-7.

After sophomore Nate Theunissen doubled in two runs, Arnold drove in two more first-inning runs to give the Chippewas an early 4-0 lead.

Sophomore left-hander Rick Dodridge was CMU's starting pitcher but was pulled after just 3 and 2/3 innings due to a monitored pitch count. He allowed seven hits and one earned run, while striking out four batters.

Coach Steve Jaksa said he is pleased with the way Dodridge pitched on Wednesday.

“We were really happy with how Rick threw," he said. "He accomplished some things we wanted to do, and it was a good day for him."

Senior catcher Dale Cornstubble kept his hot streak going, collecting two hits and scoring two runs with an RBI. Theunissen and senior Ricky Clark combined for four more RBIs in the victory.

“I think the most important thing is that not only did we pitch well, we also played good defense, and I thought we did some good things offensively,” Jaksa said. “They made some errors which helped us but, at the same time, I thought a number of our guys had quality at bats.”

Junior right-hander Bryce Morrow came in relief of Dodridge and pitched 2 and 1/3 innings and allowed four earned runs while striking out two.

Junior Mike Nixon and sophomore Zach Cooper followed in relief and allowed one run the rest of the game.

The Chippewas (8-8) head to Ohio on Friday to take on Miami (OH) in a three-game series. Senior right-hander Jesse Hernandez will get the start on Friday.

Friday also begins the Mid-American Conference schedule.

“You always want to carry into the next game and feel good about what you are doing, and we felt it was a good win for us across the board,” Jaksa said. “It is what it is, its here and we have to be ready, and I think we are ready.”