U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak represented his people

Regardless of your stance on the health care reform law, you have to give it to U.S. Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Menominee.

Stupak, who captured the national media by holding out on the health care legislation by refusing to vote ‘yes’ if the bill contained federal funding for abortions, has since been the target of people’s anger, receiving threats on his voicemail and messages left at his office.

If anything, Stupak’s holdout — which ended after President Barack Obama promised to sign an executive order prohibiting federal funding to go toward abortion services — should be applauded.

The 1st Congressional District, which encompasses the entire Upper Peninsula and the northeastern part of the Lower Peninsula all the way to Bay County, has elected a Democratic representative for years, but is socially conservative.

Stupak’s holdout exhibited just that: liberal policy, conservative social stance.

Stupak did what a representative is supposed to do. He represented his constituents and represented them well.

But since the vote took place March 21, Stupak has been targeted by several people, including one note calling him “Judas” with the drawing of a hangman’s noose with Stupak’s name printed on the gallows.

He has received threatening phone calls, and the state police are beginning to survey Stupak’s home in Menominee in case suspicious activity arises around it, like it has at other representatives’ homes.

Since when do people who proclaim themselves as pro-life wish ill on someone’s — well, life?

Executive order

The Susan B. Anthony Foundation recently rescinded its Defender of Life award to Stupak, saying he “failed to stand strong for unborn children, but also for his constituents and pro-life voters across the country.”

Stupak met with Obama on Sunday to keep federal funding for abortions illegal through an executive order, which many are saying is worthless.

Executive orders have been issued as long as the Constitution is in place, the first by George Washington in 1789, calling for a report from the former confederate government.

Executive orders have long been a part of the American executive branch, allowing presidents to issue them as long as they do not contradict the Constitution.

Several other executive orders regarding abortion have been issued, including ones by Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. Executive orders are far from worthless.

Shortly after 9/11, Bush issued E.O. 13228, which established the Office of Homeland Security.

With the same arguments applied to Obama’s executive order on abortion funding, the same people would have to argue the Office of Homeland Security is unconstitutional as well.

They also would have to argue that the Emancipation Proclamation was unconstitutional as well, as it was an executive order by Abraham Lincoln.

Few people nowadays would argue that the Proclamation was unconstitutional, freeing slaves in specific areas across the war-torn United States.

If the executive order system is that bad, then change it. Congress has that right to overrule executive orders. But I don’t expect it will anytime soon.