Baseball beats UIC in wet conditions

The CMU baseball team extended its win streak to four games after a 4-1 win against Illinoi-Chicago Tuesday in rainy conditions at Theunissen Stadium.

Senior James Teas came in to pinch-hit for junior Matt Faiman in the sixth inning and batted in a run on a single to left field. Sophomore Scott Phillion followed suit with an RBI-single to left field of his own, giving the Chippewas (15-10) a 2-0 lead.

Jordan Dean followed with an RBI-single to right field and senior Tyler Kipke hit into a fielders choice, which scored Phillion, giving the team a 4-0 lead.

“Overall, it was like you try to map it out, but we would have liked to have had a few more runs,” said coach Steve Jaksa. “We put the ball in play and that’s what we ask them to do. The inning we got the four runs, we had a big hit from Teas and then pitching and defense — we pitched real well.”

Freshman Dietrich Enns got his first start of the season and, despite pitching five innings of shutout baseball, got the no decision. Enns struck out six batters while allowing just one hit.

Sophomore Zach Cooper picked up his first win of the season as he finished out the game in relief.

Cooper allowed three hits and struck out six batters in the win. He allowed one earned run on an Andy Leonard double off the left field wall but, overall, improved his earned runs average to 2.63.

“Enns and Cooper, you can’t ask for much better out of those guys and we played good defense,” Jaksa said. “It was just a matter of us hopefully scoring some runs, which we were able to do.”

The Chippewas take their four-game win streak to Ann Arbor tomorrow when they face Michigan. The Wolverines are 15-11 and are coming off a series win against Indiana University.