Detroit Tigers make stop at CMU

It felt like spring Friday morning as sun beamed through the Events Center atrium and on members of the Detroit Tigers.

The club came to Central Michigan University for a private “business over breakfast” event with the Mount Pleasant Chamber of Commerce as the days until spring training in Lakeland, Fla., draw closer.

“I think everyone is pumped,” Tigers third baseman Brandon Inge said during the event. “It’s the best I’ve felt in two years. I can go to spring training and just focus on baseball (two previous season had knee injuries). We got a good team.”

The players aren’t the only ones that expressed their excitement to the Chamber of Commerce crowd.

“With this team, we can get to the playoffs,” said Tigers Vice President Al Avila. “We wanted to go out and get Victor Martinez from the get-go. We said we wanted to get Joaquin Benoit from the get-go.”

Avila had a busy offseason snagging both desired free agents. Martinez was picked up from the Boston Red Sox after hitting 20 home runs and driving in 79 runs in 2010. Benoit comes from the Texas Rangers, where he recorded a 1.34 ERA last season out of the bullpen.

Some young Tigers still want to prove that they belong on this team.

“I want to show what I can do this year,” said left fielder Brennan Boesch. “I want to show I can be consistent. … Spring training can’t come soon enough.”

Pitchers and catchers report to Lakeland on Feb. 13, with the first full-team work out on Feb. 19.

The CMU baseball and softball teams were two student groups that were invited to the Chamber of Commerce event.

“It was a good event,” said assistant baseball coach Tyler Stovall. “You see those guys on the field, you don’t hear them talk. It was a good experience for our players to see how to conduct themselves.”

Avila gives projected lineup

During the event, Avila gave a glimpse of what the 2011 Tigers will look like.

Alex Avila and Victor Martinez are expected to split duties at catcher, while Miguel Cabrera returns at first base.

Second base will be the most interesting situation as an injured Carlos Guillen may not be ready to start at the beginning of the season. Backing him up is Scott Sizemore, Will Rhymes and Danny Worth. Jhonny Peralta (shortstop) and Brandon Inge (third base) round out the infield.

In the outfield, Magglio Ordonez and Austin Jackson will play in right and center field, respectively, while Ryan Raburn is the anticipated starter in left. However, Brennan Boesch, Clete Thomas and Casper Wells will also be right there in competition.

Pickens returns to CMU

Tigers bullpen catcher Scott Pickens came home today during the winter caravan. As a catcher, Pickens was a captain on the 2002 CMU baseball team.

After spending a few years playing in the Frontier League, along with other minor league teams, Pickens came back to CMU as a coach. The Rosebush native and Mount Pleasant High School graduate even recruited current assistant coach Tyler Stovall in his playing days.

“It’s really cool to see (Pickens),” said Stovall. “He’s does a lot for CMU. He’s a great spokesman for CMU and is the closest we have to someone in the majors. He’s a great guy.”

CMU head coach Steve Jaksa was an assistant while Pickens played for the Chippewas, but brought Pickens on as an assistant coach when Jaksa got the head job.

“It’s good to see him come back today,” Jaksa said, after explaining Picken’s CMU ties to the crowd before the Tigers arrived.

CMU teams excited for 2011

CMU baseball won the Mid-American Conference title and softball finished second in the MAC West division in 2010. Both programs are trying to build off that success heading into the 2011 season, which is set to kickoff next month.

Jaksa emphasized “the ability to repeat” during his speech to members of the Chamber of Commerce and invited guests. He stressed the importance of trying to defend their title.

“The ability to repeat is predicated on commitment, pride in performance and a certain attitude,” Jaksa said.

Softball coach Margo Jonker also had time to speak, expressing her optimism for this upcoming season.

“This year is going to be a great year,” Jonker said. “I’m proud of our past and where we’re going. We have heart, passion and desire. We’re working hard in the weight room, conditioning and practice. How can we not be successful?”