Softball trying to carry momentum to Hoosier Classic

The Central Michigan softball team is trying to carry the momentum it built during spring break to Bloomington, Ind., for the Hoosier Classic this weekend.

The team played "quite well," CMU coach Margo Jonker said, during its past 10 games.

“Team focus has been positive, which is one of the key reasons we’ve been successful so far,” she said.

The Chippewas have won eight of their last 10 games, but neither Jonker nor her players are getting complacent.

“We need to keep playing (CMU) softball, putting pressure on other teams and keep scoring,” said junior Molly Coldren. “We compete in all seven innings and take advantage of other team's mistakes.”

Coldren has been a big part of the team's current hot streak, with five homers and 13 runs batted in, leading the team in both categories.

CMU (11-7) will face two Big Ten teams – Indiana University twice and Michigan State University once – that have some star players.

Indiana pitcher Morgan Melloh (8-11), who transferred from Fresno State University for her senior season, has a long resume. At FSU, she tossed 42 shutouts, was one of four NCAA Division I pitchers to throw back-to-back 400-strikeout seasons and was named Western Athletic Conference Preseason Pitcher of the Year in 2010.

“Supposedly she’s quite successfully,” Jonker said. “I think she has some more speed than we’ve seen, but it’s just as challenging to face a pitcher with less speed because you have to wait on it. It depends on the player.”

MSU also has a standout player in senior shortstop Lindsey Hansen, who has hit 32 career home runs for the Spartans, the most in program history. Hansen leads MSU with 10 home runs and 28 RBIs this season.

“We need to play well. It doesn’t matter who we play, it doesn’t make a difference what league they’re in,” Jonker said.

CMU will start play at 12:15 p.m. Friday against Loyola (8-5) and 2:30 p.m. against Indiana (12-12).

“I’m excited to get back outside,” Coldren said. “It’s going to be a great weekend to play, even though it might get cold.”

Said Jonker: “I think it’s going to be excellent to compete and go play outside again. It’s huge for us before the conference season starts. We’ll face some good competition.”