CMU 9, UT 8: Chippewas score four in the 9th inning to stay alive in MAC tournament

CHILLICOTHE, Ohio - The Central Michigan baseball team scored four runs in the ninth inning Thursday to beat Toledo 9-8 and stay alive in the Mid-American Conference tournament.

Junior third baseman Tyler Hall hit for the cycle, going 4-for-4 with five RBIs, including a bases-clearing triple in the ninth to tie the game at 8. A sacrifice fly from senior Brendan Emmett brought in the go-ahead run.

The Chippewas, the No. 2 seed in the tournament, advance to play the loser of No. 3 Miami-No. 7 Western Michigan at 12:30 p.m. Friday. Toledo has been eliminated.

CMU carried a 5-2 lead into the sixth, but a two-run homer from Toledo's Mike Sherwood off starter Zach Cooper cut it to one. An inning later, the Rockets scored three more off the bat of Mark Lapikas to take their first lead of the game. They tacked on another run in the eighth to take an 8-5 lead and looked to have control.

A throwing error to start the ninth gave the Chippewas life. Back-to-back singles from Matt Faiman and Robbie Harman loaded the bases for Hall, who ripped a 2-2 pitch down the left field line to complete his cycle.

Junior right-hander Harvey Martin got the win after pitching 1 1/3 innings of relief. Cooper allowed four runs on nine hits in six innings.

Junior Sam Russell went 2-for-5 with a home run. Nate Theunissen and Robbie Harman each added a pair of hits.

Join Aaron McMann beginning at noon Friday for a live blog as CMU continues its run for a MAC tournament title.