Tigers select Sabol in MLB draft

The hometown team selected the hometown guy.

The Detroit Tigers selected former Central Michigan pitcher Jake Sabol in the 36th round of the 2011 Major League Baseball draft.

Sabol, a Shelby Township native, played his high school baseball at Warren De La Salle, stayed in-state at CMU and now has the opportunity to work his way into a role with his in-state MLB team.

An anxious Sabol was awaiting his chance at becoming a professional athlete.

“I was at my house watching every pick on my computer hoping for my opportunity,” he said.

Excitement was the feeling for the 6-foot-5 right hander. He just lived the boyhood dream of being picked by the hometown team. It's the team he grew up watching and admiring.

“It is definitely a dream come true to be drafted by Detroit,” he said. “I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Sabol started 12 games for CMU this year and recorded a 3.18 ERA during Mid-American Conference play with shutouts against Ohio and Akron. A player of his productivity will surely be missed by the Chippewas pitching staff.

“The big thing for us is that he just kept getting better,” said Central Michigan head coach Steve Jaksa. “We are really proud of how he improved and really developed over his career.”

Sabol's destination in the minor league has yet to be determined. However, it doesn't matter where the he ends up, he's ready for the chance to grow and improve his game with the Tigers.

“I talked to about eight or nine teams, but none as much as Detroit and Texas,” Sabol said. “The Rangers and Tigers were my top two teams.”

Jaksa and the program are very excited for Sabol and the rest of the Chippewas who have been drafted this week.

“We texted back and forth when he got drafted," Jaksa said. "I told him congrats and sent a fist pound from the Chippewas. It's good for the program when pro scouts see what we saw in them.”