ADVICE COLUMN: Top 10 songs to get busy to

Sex and music are two of college kids' favorite things, and it just so happens they work well together.

After reading a previous article in Central Michigan Life by Mike D'Orazio, I was horrified by his list and the awful songs he chose. So I’ve compiled a list of songs I find very appropriate for getting busy to, which I consider to make much more sense. I didn't include anything by Maroon 5 — you're welcome.

I suggest one should pick and choose from the list depending on the kind of sex you want to have.

Most of my songs are classics, because I’ve noticed my generation hasn’t quite found the knack for making really honest music about doing the deed. So pour a glass of wine, gaze into your partner's eyes and let some magic happen.

10.  Maxwell “Whenever, Wherever, Whatever” (live version) This is a perfect way to get started. It’s a very romantic, sweet song.

9. Jill Scott “Bedda at Home” Scott has a very sultry voice in it and the message she sends of staying faithful because you’ve got the best waiting for you at home is a good one.

8.  Rolling Stones “Beast of Burden” Like the song says, after hearing the line “All I want is you to make love to me,” that’s exactly what you’ll want as well.

7. Jimi Hendrix “Voodoo Child” There’s the kind of sex that’s sweet and gentle, then there’s Hendrix. This song makes you want to just have your partner right here and now, but please, close the blinds.

6. Garth Brooks “Make You Feel My Love” Yes, I know what you’re saying to yourself. "County, say whaaat? What about Adele’s version?" But trust me on this. Look up this version of a Bob Dylan classic and try not making out with your significant other.

5.  Mazy Star “Fade Into You” If this doesn’t make you want your partner, I don’t know what will.

4.  Alicia Keys “Wreckless Love” Take your Lady Gagas and Ke$has and shove it. Alicia Keys is a real woman artist who doesn’t need gimmicks and theatrics to make a statement, and neither does this song. It’s simple and direct. If you’re in a relationship that has lost some spark, listen to this and I think it might be able to help.

3.  Led Zepplin “Whole Lotta Love” One of the greatest opening guitar riffs ever. From beginning to end, this song is sex. It’s raunchy, dirty and kind of weird, but something that you want to get lost in.

2.  Al Green “Can’t Next to You” The wanting in his voice is so strong it draws you in. There’s a slow buildup in the song until the end where Green sings his heart out. The desperation of his voice mixed with the guitar, horn section and the pacing of the music is perfection.

1. Marvin Gaye “Let’s Get It On” I could’ve gotten creative with my number one choice, but frankly that’s just super annoying. People have tried since Marvin Gaye. Hell, Usher has made a whole career of trying. But no one, and I mean no one, can come close to the greatness that is Marvin Gaye and this song. Except for, well, the sex you have to it.

For advice about relationships and sex, e-mail me at spenc1jc@cmich.edu or submit a question anonymously to my formspring account, http://formspring.me/JordanCSpence