Coco Joe's hosts baseball program for 'Meet the Chippewas'

The Central Michigan “baseball family” was in full effect Saturday afternoon at Coco Joe’s Beach House.

Players, coaches, parents, grandparents, coaches and alumni were all cutting jokes.

The CMU baseball team held its annual “Meet the Chippewas” event six days before it heads off for its first game against Troy Friday.

It gave family members, alumni and the community a chance to have a closer interaction with the coaching staff and players.

“It’s just an opportunity for the community to see and come out and get some free autographs for some of the youngsters who could make it today,” head coach Steve Jaksa said. “It’s a fun, social kind of atmosphere, and then hey, we have to hit the ground running next week.”

The event began with an autograph session and lunch, which then proceeded into a player-by-player introduction from assistant coaches, Jeff Opalewki, Brett Haring and Derek Simmons.

Jaksa was pleased with the crowd, discussing the importance of having this baseball family.

“One of the things in our mission statement that we try to hold dear is the fact that our baseball family, they’re a part of that baseball family,” Jaksa said. “They don’t try to come in and make decisions or that kind of thing, but they’re still part of it. They’re still a part of our baseball family and whether you play a little or a lot, if you wear a Chippewa uniform, you represent the university and our baseball team.”

Gary Arbogast, who became a part of that baseball family as a CMU baseball player from 1968-72, was a guest speaker.

He reflected on his memories as a player at CMU, discussing the importance of teammates and how he can still recollect those memories 40 years later.

Senior outfielder Sam Russell was full of smiles and said it was a great event and a good time for the team to kick off the season.

“It’s always a great turnout and to see all the parents, of not only the returning players, but the new guys as well,” he said.

The Chippewas finished as the Mid-American Conference West division champions last season, finishing with a 31-27 record and 17-9 in the MAC.