SOCCER: Houliston, Oja join women's coaching staff at graduate level

The Central Michigan women's soccer program added former Fort Wayne FC head coach Anne Houliston and 2011 CMU graduate Randy Oja to the 2012 coaching staff.

Houliston, who has been a graduate assistant at Murray State, will resume the same role with the Chippewas.

Oja joins as a graduate assistant of director of operations.

“Anne has a great knowledge of the game and will be magnificent on the field with her instruction, her coaching and her ability to communicate what she wants out of the players,” head coach Neil Stafford said in a press release on CMUChippewas.com. "She’s bringing great playing experience and some really great coaching experience with her."

“I really think having a great female role model for our players is so important. We’re here to teach life lessons, using soccer as vehicle, and Anne will be able to do that very well.”

Houliston, a native of Scotland, represented her country on the U-16 and U-19 teams four times at the European Championships and was a first-team NAIA as an All-American and all-conference at Lindsey Wilson College.

Houliston and Oja join Stafford, assistant coach Ian Carry and volunteer assistant Jacquie Lacek on the staff.

The Chippewas season begins at 3 p.m. Aug. 17 in Detroit against the Titans. CMU beat U of D 1-0 in Mount Pleasant last season, 1-0 on a goal by Autumn Hawkins, who is now a senior.

The home opener follows at 1 p.m. Aug. 19 against Evansville. The Chippewas beat the Purple Aces last season 3-1 in Evansville, Ind.